This has been a year a lot of us would like to forget.
Let’s take a look at the week of January 20 through January 27, 2017….
- The inauguration crowd that he bragged was the biggest ever (it wasn’t, it was only about one half of the crowd size of Barack Obama’s in 2009) was the first lie that will have to be recorded in the annals of history. In his inaugural address Trump said, and I quote, “This American carnage stops right here and right now”….. funny thing is, crime has been on the decline for the last 25 years. A FACT that he would now classify as “fake news”.
- The firing of Sally Yates because she wouldn’t bow down to him (mainly) and the warning of her, former President Obama and others about Flynn and his connections that are suspicious at best and criminal on their face in, what later will become obvious. White House counsel, Donald McGahn remains clueless.
- His first attempt at a Muslim ban from seven Middle Eastern countries that have not killed a single American (while allowing other countries in that region that have actually killed Americans to be exempt)… That triggered protests in airports in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle because of this hypocrisy, (even some with valid “green cards” were banned).
- The result of which causes his low approval rating (less than 35%) and it makes him the fastest president (a term I regret I am forced to use) to ever reach such lows.
- One thing he did do was get an unfit person, Neil Gorsuch, appointed, with the help of a Republican majority, to the SCOTUS. There’ll be more on this in the coming year as the 2018 court session begins since there are many controversial decisions on the docket.
- Then there are his worst excesses. Rewriting immigration laws. Building a ridiculous and unneeded wall on the U.S./Mexico border. And last but not least, his budding but about to be excessive attacks on the Freedom of the Press. That is all for now, but his first week was certainly a preview of what we now can see was to come. Not good.